Sunday 15 March 2015

A Letter to our Someday-Baby

Dear Someday-Baby,

I hope you have your dad's nose and dark hair. I hope you and Zoe-dog have so many summer days where you both can run on grass (parks, fields, your grandparents' backyards, literally everywhere, so long as you're both safely away from streets and being supervised) and play fetch with a Frisbee or a ball. I hope you giggle and laugh a lot, and that my cousin Pedia will share her toys with you when she comes to visit. I hope your crib mattress is soft and your knit blanket is warm and cosy. I hope you like to colour and try all kinds of new food. I hope every summer we can all go on a vacation together, even if it's just a little camping trip somewhere on the island. I hope you like all the books we'll read together and stories we'll make up. I hope you'll be excited to go to school when you get a little older.

Your dad and I have been talking about re-painting the loft this summer, and I think a light yellow would be nice. I want it to be a cosy space when it becomes your room, but I also want it to feel like it's full of sunshine even on rainy days. We're going to have to do a lot of spring cleaning and organising, but we want to do all of this to make it your room. We're making space in our lives for you, and the more we do so the more sure we're ready for you.

I want you know that your whole family is ready and waiting for you. Your great-granny Joan even has a wooden highchair stored away for when you arrive, and your great-grandma June has been sending me lots of positive energy in hopes you'll choose a month soon to incarnate. Great-grandpa wants to teach you how to skate, also. Your grandmothers are both excited about the possibility of you, and your granddad has been daydreaming about you for quite a long time now. You have lots of uncles and aunts, lots of cousins waiting here and some future-cousins that will hopefully come after you. When you get here you'll be your dad's dream-come-true, and I already know he's going to spoil you. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you grow up to be happy and healthy, and I know you're going to become a really good person. I want the best for you, and I want you to always feel loved.

I know you've been hesitating to join us, but I want you to know it's okay and that not for one minute will any of us regret your arrival. We're ready in every way. Nothing about your creation will be "accidental", we've chosen you and will adore you no matter what form you take--you have the freedom to become whatever person you're meant to be, I promise, we'll only do our best to make sure we guide you in a direction without unnecessary discomforts or risks. You are my sole/soul priority.

We love you, Someday-Baby,

Your One-day-Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment